Thursday, January 7, 2010

My Name Is Lolita, and I, I'm not supposed to play. . . with boys!

So according to Style.com, the "Lolita" look is in for Spring.


But by "Lolita", they mean the sexed up Kubrick version and not the Nabakov's tomboyish object of affection.





*Pats self on back for rocking heart-shaped sunglasses circa last summer*



So bows, babydolls, and ankle socks are in in a big way. Because pedophilia is so sexy. Nabakov is one of my absolute favorite authors, and Lolita one of his best, such a satire on America from the point of view of European mutt Humbert Humbert.

Though I love how everyone has their ideas about what's trendy. First, New York Times article about how "silly" frills and bows are, because no one will take you seriously. Except for all this evidence pointing to demure child-like sexiness on the runway. Basically, I take "trends" with a grain of salt, because you can find evidence of any sort of "trend" if you pick and choose from collections enough.

I tend to think people go into two camps. Either camp minimalist, sophisticated, casual, etc., or camp over-the-top, strong point of view, lots of everything, all at once. I am definitely of the second mind. And I have to agree with Tavi, this obsession with "model off-duty" is pretty bland- yeah, skinny jeans, racer-back tanks with oversized sweaters and a hoodie really isn't much of a "statement". And the reason it looks good on models is, well, because they're models. It tends to look frumpy on the average person.


I look forward to more bows, more cute little dresses, more everything chic and adorable.


And I have to say, the last few years have been so good on fashion to me. Finally, stuff from the top reaching real people in some sort of timely fashion. I still remember looking for skinny jeans at a Macy's about five years ago, and having them have no idea what I was talking about, even though it was all over the runways and goddammit, I NEEDED a pair. Ditto looking for skirts that fell somewhere above the calf without being a short denim miniskirt. Maybe part of that was being in a small town with no real retail choices, but I think there's a definite shift to put decent clothes on everyone, immediately, in every price range. And that is definitely an exciting trend for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment